Active Accounting Group would like to bring to your attention a current email scam in circulation that is pretending to be from Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC).
The best way to tell if the email is legitimate is to hover your computer mouse over the email address the email came from, if it does not have the extension '@asic.gov.au' then this is not a legitimate email and we recommend deleting it from your inbox.
An email is likely a scam and is not from ASIC if it asks you:
- to make a payment over the phone
- to make a payment to receive a refund
- for your credit card or bank details directly by email or phone
To help protect yourself from any scams you can:
- keep your anti-virus software up to date
- be wary of emails that don't address you by name or misspell your details and have unknown attachments
- don't click any links on a suspicious email
To notify ASIC of a potential scam email, you can forward the entire email to ReportASICEmailFraud@asic.gov.au.
If you have any questions in relation to this scam, please do not hesitate to contact our office on (02) 4044 1245.